Question:

From Michigan, USA:

My 7 year old daughter went to the hospital last week for the first time. They took her blood and it was 71. The second time they took her blood it was high and they thought there was an error so they took it again. Then it was 315. They changed the I.V. solution and it went down to 115. They operated on her and took out her appendix. She wants to eat all day long; wets the bed about 3 times a week; tends to want drinks with sugar rather than water. She is also very moody. Do you think I should pursue this further and have her checked for diabetes?

Answer:

I would suggest discussing your concerns with your pediatrician. The main symptoms for diabetes are excessive thirst, hunger, and urination, and weight loss. Illness can occasionally cause high blood sugars, but in light of her current symptoms, I would suggest testing for diabetes. The test most frequently used is a simple urine test.