From Lincoln, Nebraska, USA:

My son is 17 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 about 8 months ago. I have a well-meaning neighbor that is trying to convince me to have my son take a nutritional supplement to help in his treatment of diabetes. She has provided me with some literature that seems to suggest that these nutritional supplements will help him. Personally I am very doubtful about using these products or any other type of nutritional supplement that claims to be able to help a multitude of medical problems. What is your opinion?

Remember it is all medicine; when they harvest something and put it in a pill it is medicine. Effects, side effects! -- that's what I tell patients. The FDA process is long and bothersome, but we have a better chance that the product is safe -- and even that process occasionally releases a dangerous product.

The FDA today released a warning about some diabetes related herbal products. The companies wanted to be sure they worked so the slipped some very effective diabetes drugs in the mix and guess what: people got very low.

I don't claim to know all there is to know about all these available products, but to call them "nutritionals" and not medicine is just not true!

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations