From Idaho, USA:

Our ten year old son's baseball season will begin soon. Although he has managed games and practices before with fairly good results, this will be his first season as a "pumper." I am in a bit of a quandary as to where he might wear his pump to protect it from sliding, etc. He has been opposed to a thigh site for his cannula in the past. I'm also trying to think through his basal rates when it is unclear as to how active he may (or may not be) in a game. It is rather routine for him to check frequently during sports participation.

I would have him disconnect from the pump altogether during the baseball game (if he is playing) and check every hour during it. There are several pump tubing products that allow for quick disconnect and reconnect. That way it won't be a problem if the cannula comes out. I think the abdomen or upper hip is probably the best spot if you choose to leave it in. The pump can be safely secured inside the top of his athletic supporter with little difficulty.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Insulin Pumps