Question:

From New York, USA:

Vitamin E has been said to help with nerve damage in diabetics. I was wondering if any research has been done on the effect it would have on hypoglycemia unawareness. It would be great if it could help diabetics recognize their low blood sugars.

Answer:

Not much information of which I am aware regarding vitamin E and hypoglycemia unawareness. There are several things that you and your diabetes treatment team can do, however, to decrease problems with severe episodes of hypoglycemia. Frequent testing is a key and would include at least some problem-solving overnight testing as well as pre and post meal testing during waking hours. Focusing on very subtle symptoms identification -- called BGAT or HGAT -- blood glucose or hypoglycemia awareness training -- often is very helpful in this regard.

No other medication or herb/nutritional supplements are likely to be of any specific help in this regard but you should be in close contact with your diabetes team for more specific and individualized advice.