From Englewood, Ohio, USA:

I am 28 years old and I am 5 weeks pregnant with my sixth pregnancy. Because of previous history with borderline gestational diabetes, I was given the glucose test at 4 weeks and it came back at a level of 146. So I have to have a 3 hour glucose tolerance test soon. Would these levels on the first test be thrown off as a result of diet? I follow a controlled carb way of eating, which means for that during the day I eat only protein and low carbs vegetables and at dinner I balance my meal, starting with a salad, 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggies and the final 1/3 high carb items. I have not once in 4.5 months had carbohydrates alone without protein/vegetables. Could this throw off my results by drinking that Glucola solution alone? And, is it wise to eat the carbohydrates that are recommended for 3 days prior to the testing or will that throw me off further?

The initial screening can be done regardless of any specific diet. However, the results may be more accurate if you carbohydrate load for three days before the test. Nevertheless, the 3 hour test should provide a definitive answer.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes