Question:

From Englewood, Ohio, USA:

I am 28 years old and I am 5 weeks pregnant with my sixth pregnancy. Because of previous history with borderline gestational diabetes, I was given the glucose test at 4 weeks and it came back at a level of 146. So I have to have a 3 hour glucose tolerance test soon. Would these levels on the first test be thrown off as a result of diet? I follow a controlled carb way of eating, which means for that during the day I eat only protein and low carbs vegetables and at dinner I balance my meal, starting with a salad, 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggies and the final 1/3 high carb items. I have not once in 4.5 months had carbohydrates alone without protein/vegetables. Could this throw off my results by drinking that Glucola solution alone? And, is it wise to eat the carbohydrates that are recommended for 3 days prior to the testing or will that throw me off further?

Answer:

The initial screening can be done regardless of any specific diet. However, the results may be more accurate if you carbohydrate load for three days before the test. Nevertheless, the 3 hour test should provide a definitive answer.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes