Question:

From Sandwich, Massachusetts, USA:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 a week ago. She has been home 4 days. Blood sugars have never been lower than 275 and are typically in the 300+ range. Ketones generally absent, but sometimes moderate. I think we are doing a good job balancing carbs/protein and overall calories. How long does it take to see some 70-180 blood sugar levels?

Answer:

Insulin requirements can change almost daily for a while after diagnosis. If your child was diagnosed very early, her pancreas may have been still making some insulin. It is possible that her pancreas is making less insulin every day, so that you may need to give her more insulin.

If her blood sugars are high and especially if she is spilling ketones, you should contact her diabetes team right away to ask if her dose should be changed. Don't be surprised if in a little while, she temporarily needs less insulin again, then again more.