From Ohio, USA:

I've decided to search the web for a phenomenon I've been experiencing for the past 5 years. Let me first state that I'm 46 years old. I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was 10. Several years ago, I had my second stroke; I was prescribed a SSRI [selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor] medication for depression. Since them I've discovered it seems to prevent the peripheral neuropathy I've been suffering from for 20 years. I've tried finding the manufacturer's e-mail address so I can contact them to see if they have done any research on this. I think it may help many diabetics. Now, I've found a few articles where non-diabetics said my medication caused neuropathic pain. But I've found it does the exact opposite.

The use of tricyclic antidepressants (such as Elavil/amitriptyline) and SSRI's such as Prozac and Zoloft to help alleviate neuropathic pain has been recognized for years: see Diabetes and Foot Pain for more information.