From Newbury, Massachusetts, USA:

I was recently diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes (8 months ago). I am now 4 1/2 months pregnant. I have maintained good control of my sugars and am told all is going smoothly. The doctor recommends a level 2 ultrasound at 19 weeks to check all of the babies organs. Is this a good idea? There is no chance of abortion. What are the chances of abnormalities in my baby if I have maintained good control? I am a little scared.

The ultrasound examination is very useful in ruling out abnormalities in the fetus that may be related to high blood glucose in the first trimester. The ultrasound will not cause a miscarriage. With good glucose control you will minimize the risk of fetal abnormalities.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes