Question:

From Newbury, Massachusetts, USA:

I was recently diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes (8 months ago). I am now 4 1/2 months pregnant. I have maintained good control of my sugars and am told all is going smoothly. The doctor recommends a level 2 ultrasound at 19 weeks to check all of the babies organs. Is this a good idea? There is no chance of abortion. What are the chances of abnormalities in my baby if I have maintained good control? I am a little scared.

Answer:

The ultrasound examination is very useful in ruling out abnormalities in the fetus that may be related to high blood glucose in the first trimester. The ultrasound will not cause a miscarriage. With good glucose control you will minimize the risk of fetal abnormalities.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes