Question:

From Kirksville, Missouri, USA:

I am a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed before the birth of my last child, about two and a half years ago. My grandmother and all of her sisters had Type 1 diabetes. My baby, now 2, has had some slightly elevated blood sugar readings. Her fasting reading was 126 and another random reading during the day after snacking was 140. Should I be concerned? My other three children have always tested in the normal range. Does this child have a greater chance for developing diabetes?

Answer:

You have asked a good question. Your family history indicates that there is a genetic predisposition to type 1 diabetes, and of course, your children are part of that genetic environment. But remember, they also have their dad's genes too. If you would like to have your kids tested for their risk of type 1 diabetes, there are studies across the country doing this (such as the DPT-1 study).

I can certainly understand your concern for your kids and baby. I would discuss this with your diabetes doctor and pediatrician as soon as possible so that your worry goes no further.

KS