Question:

From Bahrain:

I am 25 year old and have been married for 3 years and trying for a child for 1 year. I was kept on Clomid for 3 months and then I was told to take Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] by a doctor, for infertility. My periods were irregular too. I am not a diabetic, but I have a family history of diabetes; my father has it. I am also 10-15 kg overweight. How does Glucophage help you to get pregnant?

Answer:

Glucophage has been used in women with polycystic ovarian disease to help increase the frequency of ovulation. This may be related to insulin resistance. However, I would not recommend the use of Glucophage for infertility since safety in early pregnancy has not been established. You may become pregnant while still on this medication and place the fetus at risk.

Posted to Family Planning