From Akron, Ohio, USA:

A friend has a 9 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 3 years ago. A typical dinner (at least 3 times a week) consists of hot dogs or fast food such as McDonald's. Are these types of foods okay for her to be eating so regularly?

My answer to this question is that these foods are as "okay" for her as they are for any child: no, not on a frequent basis! I know that children get into food jags where they won't eat many foods, but I still believe that children should be offered what a parent believes is the best nutrition. The foods you mentioned are high in fat, sodium and low in fiber and other nutrients. As a friend you may just have to lead by example and hope that it is "catching". A colorful Food Guide Pyramid posted on your refrigerator would help remind everyone of a healthy way to eat -- your friend's child might think it interesting when she saw it. I don't know of many tactful ways to indicate to a friend that what they are feeding their children is not nutritious.