Question:

From Akron, Ohio, USA:

A friend has a 9 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 3 years ago. A typical dinner (at least 3 times a week) consists of hot dogs or fast food such as McDonald's. Are these types of foods okay for her to be eating so regularly?

Answer:

My answer to this question is that these foods are as "okay" for her as they are for any child: no, not on a frequent basis! I know that children get into food jags where they won't eat many foods, but I still believe that children should be offered what a parent believes is the best nutrition. The foods you mentioned are high in fat, sodium and low in fiber and other nutrients. As a friend you may just have to lead by example and hope that it is "catching". A colorful Food Guide Pyramid posted on your refrigerator would help remind everyone of a healthy way to eat -- your friend's child might think it interesting when she saw it. I don't know of many tactful ways to indicate to a friend that what they are feeding their children is not nutritious.

JM