Question:

From Metairie, Louisiana, USA:

My 26 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. He had a blood sugar value over 500. When very young, he had bronchial asthma which was treated with hydrocortisone injections. Not long ago, I heard on my local news that steroids had been linked to diabetes. Do you have any information on this?

Answer:

Steroids in prolonged high dosage can cause diabetes which is usually temporary and resolves when the drugs are stopped. I am certain that there is no association with steroids in the case of your son's diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications