From Metairie, Louisiana, USA:

My 26 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. He had a blood sugar value over 500. When very young, he had bronchial asthma which was treated with hydrocortisone injections. Not long ago, I heard on my local news that steroids had been linked to diabetes. Do you have any information on this?

Steroids in prolonged high dosage can cause diabetes which is usually temporary and resolves when the drugs are stopped. I am certain that there is no association with steroids in the case of your son's diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications