Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I have heard that people with diabetes should not take beta carotene supplements because their bodies cannot convert it into vitamin A. I have also heard this about hypothyroidism. Is this true, and would amounts contained in an multivitamin do damage if you had both conditions?

Answer:

I'm not aware that beta-carotene supplements are dangerous to people with diabetes. I'm also not aware that supplementing with beta-carotene is useful for people with diabetes. I believe the amounts in a daily multivitamin are safe for general use.