Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from June 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have read many times about aspirin therapy in diabetes to decrease the risk of heart disease. Are there are any studies in children using baby aspirin? My son is almost 4 and was diagnosed 11 months ago. (30 Jun 2000)

2. My daughter is 16 and is a competitive diver. What effect do high blood sugars have on this? (30 Jun 2000)

3. Are you following the Tec-Med non-invasive glucose meter? I guess it uses polarity to measure blood glucose in real time. (30 Jun 2000)

4. What causes the black dots on my fingers after I test? Also, why do people always encourage you to test on different fingers to avoid calluses? Is it bad to test repeatedly on one finger? (30 Jun 2000)

5. My 3 year old daughter went to the doctor recently and on a simple urine test they found sugar in her urine. We were rushed off to the hospital for all these tests. What can I expect to happen? Everything is just whirling around. (30 Jun 2000)

6. I just found out in March that I have Type 2 diabetes. I have a glucose meter and tested my daughter who is 5 1/2. It read 180. Should I have her tested by her doctor? I have 2 other children as well; should they be tested? It runs on my side of the family. (30 Jun 2000)

7. While everyone knows that exercise is beneficial to people with diabetes who take insulin, I am curious how intense exercise effects my body. (30 Jun 2000)

8. My niece is 16 years old and has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years. She maintains good control, but does occasionally experience, but not immediately recognize, "lows." (30 Jun 2000)

9. My son is 12 years old and is scheduled to test for his black belt in tae kwon do next month. The test will last for 1.5 - 2 hours with no break in between. It will be physically exhausting. What would be the best way to ensure that his glucose will not get too low during the test? (30 Jun 2000)

10. I suspect my daughter, age 6, may have diabetes. We have a family history and she has frequent and uncontrollable urination (her pants and underwear are wet almost daily). She's always asking for water (thirsty). (30 Jun 2000)

11. My 12 year old daughter is becoming very active in sports, and her schedule has become very uncertain. At bedtime (9:30 P.M.), she has been running high (over 200) and is becoming discouraged. How can we adapt to her busy schedule and still keep her glucose under control? (30 Jun 2000)

12. In your medical opinion, what should the hemoglobin A1c goal be for a child under 2 years of age? (30 Jun 2000)

13. My doctor recently diagnosed me with having a skin condition called Acanthosis Nigricans. I have been reading that this condition is related to diabetes. Is there any treatment for the discoloration besides weight loss? (30 Jun 2000)

14. A friend of mine has been receiving insulin for a few years. He had developed a local reaction at the site of injection in the form of a painless nodule without itching. (30 Jun 2000)

15. My son just turned 2 and was diagnosed at the age of 11 months. Shortly before his second birthday, we had a day that still baffles me. For over 14 hours, I could not get his blood glucose level above 60 mg/dl. (30 Jun 2000)

16. Since both my wife and daughter are 40 to 60 pounds overweight, out of shape and eat more salt and fatty foods than necessary, are they both still high risk for diabetes? (30 Jun 2000)

17. What can be taken to stop lymphocytes from killing cells that produce insulin? What causes the dawn phenomenon? (29 Jun 2000)

18. My daughter is 9 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 years ago. We cannot get her to do her on blood tests or shots. Although it is easier to just do it for her, I'd like her to develop some independence. Any ideas? (29 Jun 2000)

19. I have a 5 year old with Type 1 diabetes who also has allergies. The allergist gave us a nasal spray, Flonase. This is the second steroid nasal spray he has had and it really elevates his blood sugars. Is there any other treatment out there that he can use instead? (29 Jun 2000)

20. My brother, aged 24 years, was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 years ago. Can he lead a normal married life? Is diabetes hereditary? Is there any permanent cure? (29 Jun 2000)

21. My daughter is 18 months old, 30 pounds, and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. I've searched your index of previous questions and have determined that U10 dilution is my only hope of obtaining a 0.2-0.5 resolution. Can you suggest a dilution technique or website which explains dilution? (29 Jun 2000)

22. I am 51 years of age. I am not a diabetic but I am concerned about my health. I am overweight and unfit. Can eating too many sweet things lead to diabetes? (29 Jun 2000)

23. For the past month I've been unable to feel my lows until my sugars get down into the 30s and because of that I test my sugar 8-10 times a day now. My question is what is it called and why am I unable to feel my lows? I don't ever give myself too much insulin or anything like that. (29 Jun 2000)

24. I work for the Military Sealift Command. I have diabetes type 2 and take oral medications. The way I see it, I have just a little time left before I'll eventually have to take insulin therapy. How can the government discriminate by giving me a permanent "not fit for duty" status and lose all my government time? (29 Jun 2000)

25. What do you think about the fact that eating pasta on a daily basis seems to trigger attacks of what I consider low blood sugar? Where can I obtain more information regarding metabolic disturbances? (29 Jun 2000)

26. I am a 33 year old male, and have developed a "trigger finger" in my ring and long fingers in both hands over the last six months. I do not have diabetes, but I am concerned that I might have some autoimmune poly-disorder. Is there any blood work I should have done to confirm antibodies, etc? (29 Jun 2000)

27. I am 18 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 1.5 years. Recently, my left foot has been tingling and sweating a lot (never dry). My right foot sweats slightly less and also tingles. Is this a symptom of some type of neuropathy? (29 Jun 2000)

28. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 2 months ago. He has been doing well overall. He goes low an average of 5-6 times per week. He feels his lows probably half the time. Is his threshold for feeling the effects of a low just lower than most? (29 Jun 2000)

29. My 7 1/2 year old daughter is quite large for her age. She grows about 3-4 inches each year and towers above most children her age. She drinks liquids constantly and seems to always be thirsty but does not have to urinate frequently as a symptom of diabetes would indicate. How do you request a test for diabetes? (29 Jun 2000)

30. My 14 year old has always had blood sugars that have been difficult to control. She can also be verbally and physically aggressive and has taken an antidepressant medication, which didn't seem to help. Could her behavior problems be caused by other factors such as a chemical imbalance or just her temperament? (29 Jun 2000)

31. My 10 year old daughter recently had a GTT and her 30 minute reading was at 190. Our doctor says that she would like for her to see a pediatric endocrinologist because she may have insulin resistance. (29 Jun 2000)

32. I have type 1 diabetes and am about 31 weeks pregnant. I'm doing great, except occasional nighttime low blood sugars. I've seen a product called the "Extendbar." Is it safe for me to try this sort of product during pregnancy? (29 Jun 2000)

33. Recently, researchers at the University of Alberta in Canada announced a so-called "cure" for diabetes. Given the need for donors to provide the pancreases (2 pancreases needed per patient), is it feasible that enough donated pancreas can be found to "cure" a large portion of the population? (28 Jun 2000)

34. Last year during my scheduled doctor's visit my blood sugar was at 121. This year I went back and he called and left word that my level was at 348. Could it be possible that two days after a 3 hour dental appointment with Novocaine or some type of drug it could have made a spike like this? (28 Jun 2000)

35. Last week my 12 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1. He is hospitalized to control his glucose levels and to understand how to manage his condition. I feel like I need to learn more about diabetes. Is there a place for a more extensive training in diabetes Type 1 in the US? (28 Jun 2000)

36. I am supposed to take 20 units of 70/30 insulin twice a day. If my blood sugar is 90 in the evening should I still take this dose? I was just taken off of a sliding scale of Regular insulin. (28 Jun 2000)

37. I have a child with delayed first stage insulin response and positive ICA 512 who, on occasion, will have elevated blood sugars. She also has repeated ear infections. Could these be caused by the high blood sugars? (28 Jun 2000)

38. I have a good friend who is a 38 year old male, who is quite thin, and has had diabetes since age 12. He is on 70/30, and is having severe swings in blood glucose. I have suggested that he ask his doctor to try him on mixing, rather than the pre-mix, but he is uncomfortable asking this without something in writing that might back up his question. (28 Jun 2000)

39. My 22 month old daughter has been having tremors at night and the first thing when she wakes up. Otherwise, she is a healthy, normal child. I was told she is having essential tremors and needs to be treated with medication. Could she have some form of diabetes? (27 Jun 2000)

40. I am a 30 year old woman with epilepsy who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I is not classed as Type 1 or Type 2, but under "other" as it came from having pancreatitis. Is there any correlation between having epilepsy and having diabetes? (27 Jun 2000)

41. Can you please explain why insulin is primarily administered as a subcutaneous injection? (27 Jun 2000)

42. Two years ago, our identical twin sons were diagnosed with renal glycosuria. They are now 5 years old. Sugar is usually present in their urine, but all blood tests have been normal. Recently, our healthy 8 year old daughter was treated for a UTI. White blood cells and protein were present. (27 Jun 2000)

43. I am a 55 year old male with a 12 year history of Type 2 diabetes. I experience a lot of lows, the only downside to which, I understand, is increasingly reduced sensitivity to same. Is there anything besides not having lows that will slow or minimize reduction in sensitivity to lows? (27 Jun 2000)

44. I am 14 years old with Type 1 diabetes and I was just wondering where glucagon should be injected. My mom said that it can be only injected in the butt. Is this true? (27 Jun 2000)

45. My son was diagnosed hyperinsulinemia. He is 9 years old and the endocrinologist put him on Glucophage twice a day. I haven't found much information on Glucophage in treatment of hyperinsulinemia and I was wondering if you had any information on it. (27 Jun 2000)

46. My 7 year old daughter has had a rash for over 2 weeks. Diabetes runs in our family. I have access to a home meter and have tested her count 3 times today, all 3-4 hours after meals, one count was 126, then 99, then 108. I'm debating on whether to bring these readings to the attention of our doctor. (27 Jun 2000)

47. I have 2 daughters; one is 9 years and the other is 8 years old. They both have had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test and both were diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I was informed at that time that it is low blood sugar, which is a type of diabetes. Is hypoglycemia Type 2 diabetes? (27 Jun 2000)

48. My father has diabetes (he can't have sugar and has to control his diet and take tablets). He has had this for five years. His mother has recently been diagnosed with the same but she is 80 years old. Do I have to worry about getting diabetes myself? (27 Jun 2000)

49. My son was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia when he was 11 months old. His doctor recently suggested that he may have a rare metabolic disorder. Can you shed any light on what the disorder may be called? The doctor said it involved a lack of ability for the liver to process protein into sugar. (26 Jun 2000)

50. My 10 year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a month ago. He has handled the situation well, however, he does not like to talk about it or read anything about diabetes. Is this a normal reaction for his age? (26 Jun 2000)

51. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. He is now 2 years old. He just got his first lab results back. His A1c level was 10.6%. My endocrinologist doesn't seem to be concerned about that, but I am very worried. What is a good level for a toddler? (26 Jun 2000)

52. I have a friend who has diabetes. I'm interesting in the monitoring of glycosylated hemoglobin and I'm wondering how it is possible to separate the glycated hemoglobin from the native one. (26 Jun 2000)

53. I have a lovely 5 year old boy who at certain times of the day cannot control his behaviour. His caregivers and myself have been wondering if this can be a symptom of low blood sugar. He does not have a lot of sugar in his diet. (26 Jun 2000)

54. My 16 year old son was diagnosed at 8 with Type 1 diabetes. He got through puberty so far without too many complications. Now he has had persistent nausea and vomiting and the doctors are suggesting gastroparesis. From what I can find, that is questionable. (24 June 2000)

55. My son was diagnosed in almost a year ago with Type 1 diabetes. He was 7 1/2. He is still in his "honeymoon". He appears to have more of a problem now with low blood sugar. How long will this honeymoon period last? (24 June 2000)

56. My nephew, who has an adopted mother, has been diagnosed with diabetes. The child is 6 years old and his mother weighs over 300 pounds and her mother was even heavier. Could this condition be something my mother-in-law did, or is it more than likely a family history matter? (24 June 2000)

57. Does a person with Type 1 diabetes always have sugar in their urine? My daughter, who has diabetes, had a routine urine test done and there was sugar but no ketones in the urine. Her last blood sugar was 196 about 1 hour prior to the urine test. She then had her shot and her dinner. (24 June 2000)

58. What are the results on people with diabetes who do not check themselves as told to do? (24 June 2000)

59. I have a 5 year old girl who has Type 1 diabetes. I was told my 3 year old has the antibodies which means, at some point, she also will have diabetes. Do you have any information about this? (24 June 2000)

60. My daughter has had Type 1 for 5 years. She is 11 years old. She recently went for a urine test and the doctor redid her with a 24 hour urine test. Now the doctor says her albumin level is high. Could you please explain the treatments for this? (24 June 2000)

61. My husband has Type 1 diabetes and our 2 children are 7 and 4 years old. They do not have diabetes as of yet. I'd like to know the very latest status on the theoretical risk between cows' milk in early childhood. (24 June 2000)

62. On my last two visits, two separate consultants have said my daily intake of insulin (90 to 100 units per day) is more than a normal person produces. What if any, are the dangers or consequences of this in the long run? (24 June 2000)

63. My 15-year-old son has had diabetes for over 14 years. He has recently become depressed with the diabetes. He is not coping well at all. Do you think St. Johns Wort might help in any way? He is seeing a counselor. (24 June 2000)

64. My daughter, age 5 1/2, has Type 1. For the past month, she has complained of numbness and tingling in the soles of her feet. I took her to her pediatrician who has ruled out neuropathy. I am wondering if there may be a link between these symptoms and her use of Nutrasweet. (23 June 2000)

65. My three year old son, diagnosed nine months ago, takes 1 1/4 units of NPH at bedtime with a 15 gram snack and usually stays high, above 250, until about 2 A.M. when he frequently goes below 100. What are the best complex carb snacks to give him or would you adjust his insulin? (23 June 2000)

66. Our 12 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes just 2 months ago. I smoke. Will this cause her any harm? (23 June 2000)

67. Shortly after having a heart attack and bypass surgery 19 years ago, my father-in-law (now age 73) was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. We have been told that he is not a good candidate for a second bypass because of his diabetes. Why does diabetes make him ineligible for a second bypass surgery? (23 June 2000)

68. My son is 9 years old. He was diagnosed 2 years ago, he is type 1. He will get an insulin pump next week. Can the pump be used with Humalog, and what are the effects of Humalog on the growth hormone? (23 June 2000)

69. Is there a scale to determine how much a given calorie intake will raise the blood sugar in mg/dl? (23 June 2000)

70. I am 32 years old, my father had Type 2 diabetes and I have Type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family. When I was younger and ate a lot of sugar, I would act strangely. Now as an adult, I have problems with what I consider low blood sugar. I would like to know if I could somehow be allergic to the sugars in carbohydrates. (23 June 2000)

71. What are your opinions and experiences about the insulin pump and using of Humalog in childhood? (22 June 2000)

72. My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes nine months ago. His weight has not increased. Before his diagnosis, his weight was 38.5 kilos; now he has the same weight. Is his weight normal or should he have been increasing? (22 June 2000)

73. My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed 1.5 months ago. At breakfast, she would not eat. Her blood sugar was 82. She was almost comatose. She couldn't eat, drink, or walk. I let her sleep for 10 minutes and then gave her juice. Her sugar level was now 39. Why did this happen when she was at a normal level? (22 June 2000)

74. My daughter is 14 and has had Type 1 since first grade. She has been very active in sports, specifically soccer. She is now at a point where she must increase her endurance. She wears a pump. Is there any training regimen she can be working now? (22 June 2000)

75. My 9 year old son was diagnosed in two months ago. He took the first 2 rounds of the Hepatitis B vaccine just before he was diagnosed. We are wondering if this could have attacked his beta cells. Should we go ahead with the 3rd vaccination scheduled in the next few months? (22 June 2000)

76. My 4.5 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes almost 1.5 years ago. We're having a problem with abdominal pain and blood sugars that are swinging dramatically (30 to 400) from insulin that does not seem to be absorbing. (22 June 2000)

77. What will happen to a child with diabetes that has poor compliance to medical regimens? (22 June 2000)

78. I have an 8 year old son who has a lot of the symptoms of diabetes. His pediatrician drew his blood for a sugar level. My neighbor who has diabetes took a reading that was 170 on her meter. He is a healthy, very active child. What could cause such a high glucose and can that be normal? (22 June 2000)

79. I took my 4 year old to the doctor for what I thought was a bladder infection. The urinalysis came back with no infections but sugar was in the urine. The blood test showed his blood sugar to be 157. The doctor called it ketoacidosis. Could there be a possibility he has diabetes? (22 June 2000)

80. For the past week and a half, I have noticed that my 21 month old daughter has been drinking a lot of water and urinating much more frequently. The pediatrician ruled out diabetes by this urine test. Her doctor said she does not have diabetes and did not advise any other tests for diabetes. What do you think? (22 June 2000)

81. Why is it that a person with untreated diabetes has to urinate all the time? I think I know the answer but would like someone to verify it. I feel I have a lot of the symptoms and would like to have this answered before I consult my doctor. (20 Jun 2000)

82. I know of a child (12 years old) who has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Why is she frequently listless? Does this have anything to do with the high level of ketones in her blood/urine? (20 Jun 2000)

83. My 9 year old daughter and I both have Type 1 diabetes and are both on insulin pumps. We are interested in knowing more about becoming insulin pump counselors. Could you point us in the right direction for looking into the necessary education? (20 Jun 2000)

84. My daughter is 2 1/2. The center we currently use does not believe in putting young children on pumps. They believe that the older kids can better manage the pump, however I am constantly finding articles suggesting that putting a toddler on a pump can be a good thing. Any comments? (20 Jun 2000)

85. My 9 year old daughter, diagnosed two years ago, read in the newspaper of the successful islet cell transplant surgery performed at the University of Alberta in Canada. She would like to know, realistically, how long before this treatment will be available to children in the United States. (20 Jun 2000)

86. I'm 29 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 1 year ago. I'm wondering if time of onset and severity of eye and kidney complications vary by time of diagnosis (juvenile or adult). (20 Jun 2000)

87. I am diabetic, and I understand the negative effects of having high blood sugar, but what sort of complications can arise from having continually low blood sugar? What is the danger in being hypoglycemic on a regular basis? (20 Jun 2000)

88. I have a daughter that just turned 4 years old. She has been a diabetic for almost a year. She never went into a honeymoon phase, and her doctor keeps telling me that she never will. From what I have read, all of the children go into the honeymoon phase. (20 Jun 2000)

89. I have a 14 year old so who has had Type 1 diabetes since age 9. He is now taking insulin shots regularly. Is there a form of tablet or something to replace the shots? How about pancreas transplant? (20 Jun 2000)

90. My daughter, who is 10, was diagnosed two months ago. She started off on 6 NPH and 2 Regular twice a day and now is down to 1/4 unit of Regular every 2-4 days. Even with 1/4 unit she bottoms out to 20-22. The doctors we have seen have no advice and tell us drop all insulin for now. (20 Jun 2000)

91. My daughter is 20 months old. I have had 2 daycare providers tell me they think she may have diabetes. Her symptoms are she is constantly thirsty, she won't eat much, she vomits sometimes out of the blue, and she gets shaky and real grumpy, like she's sick. (20 Jun 2000)

92. Our 12 year old son was diagnosed three months ago. He is constantly having trouble concentrating; also, he is tired, weak, and frequently states that he is exhausted. Is it common for a child with diabetes to have these traits? (20 Jun 2000)

93. My 11 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 4 years. She has calluses on the sides of her feet, and she wants to wear sandals this summer. How careful do we need to be? (20 Jun 2000)

94. My daughter, age 5.5, has congenital hypothyroidism. Within the last two months, she has had 2 bladder infections. When they did the urine test, she had a high content of sugar in her urine. What is the likelihood of it being diabetes? (20 Jun 2000)

95. I was just wondering if they have found out which gene is responsible for diabetes. (20 Jun 2000)

96. I am 44 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes just over two months ago. My feet are in tons of pain. It wakes me up at night and I wanted to know what I can do about it. (19 Jun 2000)

97. Has there been any information in regards to the recent research carried out in Florida with lab mice, where diabetic reversal was accomplished with the application of what I believe were genetic cells? (19 Jun 2000)

98. My 15 year old son has Type 1, diagnosed a bit over 3 years ago. His urine has just tested 118 for the presence of protein. It is my understanding that protein in the urine is an indication of kidney problems. Is this likely at such a young age? (19 Jun 2000)

99. My 16 year old daughter is lazy on the weekend and won't get out of bed, which messes up her control. She has been in hospital 3 times this school year with ketoacidosis, but it may be due to exam stress. I want to know what to do when she stays in bed and I have to go to work. (19 Jun 2000)

100. I would like to purchase some sucralose. Do you know where it can be purchased? (19 Jun 2000)

101. My child is quite negative about blood glucose monitoring. Is there any way of controlling the blood sugar without sticking fingers to get a blood drop? (19 Jun 2000)

102. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed at age 4 with Type 1 diabetes. Ever since she was diagnosed, she has become very bitter, angry, violent, and depressed. She has seen several counselors and she has been able to manipulate her way past help. Any suggestions? (19 Jun 2000)

103. My daughter has had diabetes since she was 2 years old. I would like to know if there is any problem if I give her fructose as a sugar substitute or there is a better substitute. (19 Jun 2000)

104. What is the difference between semolina pasta and regular pasta? Is it really healthier? I checked the labels on both the regular pasta and semolina pasta and they were the same. What is the best pasta if you have to cut out sugar? (19 Jun 2000)

105. My granddaughter was diagnosed last week with Type 1 diabetes. Since then, her eating habits are not what they should be. All she ever wants to eat are crackers. My daughter is going out of her mind because the child refuses to eat. We have tried everything, but nothing works. Please help us to solve this huge problem. (19 Jun 2000)

106. My 13 year old son was diagnosed five years ago with Type 1 diabetes. His genitals have not developed for a teenager of this age. Could his diabetes be causing this? (19 Jun 2000)

107. I am a psychology student with an interest in diabetes. I would like to pursue a career in counseling adolescents with diabetes. Do you know of any individuals or programs in the US that I can contact for information on graduate programs? (19 Jun 2000)

108. If I donate blood, and my control is not very good, will this affect the results of my next HbA1C test? (19 Jun 2000)

109. My 13 year old daughter has been having problems with not feeling good in the mornings. She will get up and be getting ready for school and start feeling sick to her stomach, light-headed and hot. Could this be low blood sugar and signs of diabetes? (19 Jun 2000)

110. My doctor tested me and ruled out diabetes and thyroid problems, but she prescribed Glucophage to treat me for obesity. If I don't have diabetes, and I am taking diabetes medication, will I be putting myself at risk for sickness later on? (19 Jun 2000)

111. My son, Type 1, had a extreme hypoglycemic episode around 3 A.M. Orange juice and glucagon did nothing to raise his blood sugar levels. I finally rushed him to the ER. Have you ever heard of an episode lasting for four to six hours before coherency returns? (18 Jun 2000)

112. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with diabetes. His wife is having the most trouble with planning his breakfasts. He is not supposed to have protein very often. Any ideas? (18 Jun 2000)

113. My stepson has hypoglycemia. He is with my wife and I half of the week; the other half he spends with his biological father. His biological father takes his family out to eat the majority of the time. Do you have any suggestions for the types of food he should order from fast food restaurants? (18 Jun 2000)

114. I have been on an insulin pump for 2 years now. Ever since I started on it, I've gained quite a bit of weight (27 pounds). I've seen a dietitian and am currently on a 1500 calorie/day diet. I lift weights and run 5 days a week. I am having a lot of trouble losing weight. (18 Jun 2000)

115. I am 32 and suspected I might have diabetes. The doctor said I have hypoglycemia. It seems that after I eat my level goes from mid 80s up to mid 140s. Could I be misdiagnosed? Should I insist on more testing for diabetes? (18 Jun 2000)

116. I have some questions I would like to ask about diabetes. Is it commonly inherited? How does it affect the person in the short term and long term? What are the possible physical, social, emotional and spiritual complications for the adolescent? (18 Jun 2000)

117. What is the role of oral hypoglycemic agents in treatment of children with diabetes mellitus? (18 Jun 2000)

118. Can a vitamin deficiency of any kind cause diabetes? (18 Jun 2000)

119. My 15 year old son has Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at 20 months. Basically all is well except that he was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and his doctor said that it happens to 5% of people with diabetes. What is the connection between them? (18 Jun 2000)

120. My 16 year old son was diagnosed about 1 year ago with Type 1 diabetes. Two hours after he eats, his level is about 170; 4 hours after, his levels get as high as 600. What could be causing this? Are post meal levels something that we need to track daily? (18 Jun 2000)

121. My wife, 32, has been a Type 1 diabetic since age 11 years. Now, 3 weeks ago, she got an insulin pump with lispro. Is DKA an inevitable result of blood readings above 250 mg/dl, even if the pump is working and the blood readings are simply a result of wrong eating? (18 Jun 2000)

122. I have a friend who has had diabetes for 30 years. He has always been controlled with no problems using bovine derived insulin, but has gone into insulin shock 4 times in last 2 months since going to synthetic. Is there any place to get bovine insulin anymore? (18 Jun 2000)

123. My 12 year old son was diagnosed 8 months ago. We started using an insulin pen in order to give him more flexibility. However, we couldn't control his blood sugar. Is the insulin pen is suitable for children? (17 Jun 2000)

124. Our 6 year old daughter has been complaining of shakiness for weeks now. My husband is a 30 year who has Type 1 diabetes. Finally, we insisted we check her sugar today and it was 27 just before lunch, 40 just before dinner. They say hypoglycemia is unusual in children. What would this be? (17 Jun 2000)

125. My son, 19, has had diabetes for 11 years. In the past two years, he has developed warts in the tips of his fingers, which don't seem to go away. Is this common among people with diabetes? (17 Jun 2000)

126. My 13 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. He complains of nausea frequently. Yesterday at school, he felt weak, nauseous, and shaky. The school nurse said his blood sugar was 71. What are some causes of this nauseous feeling? Could it be related to Nutrasweet or some other food? (17 Jun 2000)

127. My sister is 24 years old. She was age 2 when she developed diabetes. She would desperately like to be a part of the islet cell research. This would give her life purpose. Do you know where she could apply to be part of it? (17 Jun 2000)

128. I was in very bad control prior to my crisis, which led to getting the pump. At that time I had high blood pressure and am now taking an ACE inhibitor. Might not the high pressure have been related to the high blood sugars? (17 Jun 2000)

129. How does diabetes affect athletes? (16 Jun 2000)

130. My daughter is 7 years old and was diagnosed about 2 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Since the diagnosis, she has had a reoccurring urinary tract infection (3 times) along with an enuresis problem. Is this very common for children with diabetes? (16 Jun 2000)

131. I have had diabetes for 28 years and many, many hairdressers have told me that insulin that is in the scalp causes perms not to take on people with diabetes. Could you check into that for me? (16 Jun 2000)

132. Can you tell me anything about a patient who has both hypopituitarism and Type 1 diabetes? My daughter is 13 and has been diagnosed with type 1 for two years. She had her pituitary gland removed a year ago due to a tumor. Her care has become so complicated with additional hormones and medications. Is this normal for such a patient? (16 Jun 2000)

133. My daughter has had several episodes of DKA, one at onset, another as her body was changing and recently another. I feel that there may some type of drug abuse. My concern is with the "date rape drug" Rohypnol. Can you please tell me how she may react if she had taken such a drug? (16 Jun 2000)

134. In December of 1999, the FDA Advisory Committee recommended approval of the GlucoWatch for persons over the age of 18. Are they looking toward the use for those under 18? (16 Jun 2000)

135. I am a twenty five year old woman and have had diabetes for sixteen years. My doctor has just put me on Glucophage. I do take two insulin shots a day (Regular and NPH). I am a little scared about taking this drug due to the fact that I cannot locate any info on people with Type 1 diabetes taking it. (16 Jun 2000)

136. I'm Type 1, 42 years old, and I experience significant night sweats almost every night. I had read that this might be a symptom of liver disorder. Any truth to this? (16 Jun 2000)

137. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after being admitted to the clinic in a diabetic coma. Now she is getting 2 Units of R and 1 Unit of NPH per day. She is also following a meal plan. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me information on the possible methods of further rehabilitation. (16 Jun 2000)

138. I would like to know what would happen if my blood sugar got be too high (900). My age is 22 and I just found out that I have Type 1 diabetes. I need to know because sometimes I'm too busy to take a shot and go right to sleep. Is that bad? (15 Jun 2000)

139. Are aloe vera gel, fields of green, and royal bee jelly safe and helpful for Type 1 diabetes? (15 Jun 2000)

140. Will the mesh placed when an abdominal hernia repair was done interfere with insulin absorption if injections are done in the abdomen? (15 Jun 2000)

141. My brother, aged 14, has Type 1 diabetes. I was curious about a possible cause from a virus. What can we do to replace his exercise so that his sugars stay normal? (15 Jun 2000)

142. I have a 11 year old son. He has Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed about 3 years ago. I was wondering if there was something we could do about him having so much gas and what do about his breath. Is diabetes the cause of it? (15 Jun 2000)

143. I have a 10 year old daughter who has diabetes. I am having a lot of problems with her. It seems she doesn't even care about her self. My husband and I are very upset with her and afraid. What can we do? (15 Jun 2000)

144. My son participates in high school football, wrestling and baseball. The football and wrestling programs both have a regimented lifting program. Our physician suggested using very low weights due to the blood pressure/flow in relationship to his eyes. Should we be concerned with his weightlifting? (15 Jun 2000)

145. I would like to use an instant hand sanitizer to clean my child's fingers before doing a finger prick. My doctor said this would be bad to continually use on my child's fingers. (15 Jun 2000)

146. I think I might have diabetes. I have most of the signs. I am kinda scared to tell my mom and dad. What should I do? (15 Jun 2000)

147. My daughter was told to add a unit of insulin during the week before her period because her blood sugars always seem to go up then. She is now up five units more on her morning and night Ultralente. Her blood sugars seem to be great but isn't 17 Ultralente too much? (15 Jun 2000)

148. I'm a 17 year old male and I have diabetes and I am wondering if Humalog has to be taken with food. My nurse at school thinks it does, so after lunch when I'm high she says unless I eat something then I can't take any Humalog and I would really like to set her straight! (15 Jun 2000)

149. What happens, chemically, in a person's brain when they have an insulin reaction? (15 Jun 2000)

150. I'm a 42 year old female and have had Type 1 for 17 years. Recently, my doctor told me I had protein in my urine and prescribed blood pressure medication. Is this common and is this condition serious? (15 Jun 2000)

151. My 7 year old daughter has fairly frequent low's, almost all of which are asymptomatic, even with blood sugars in the 30's. They are treated without incident, and she's on her merry way. While the acute dangers of hypoglycemia are obvious, what long-term complications can there be? (15 Jun 2000)

152. I have heard that one factor that can help us in determining the heredity in diabetes is the HLA DR type. My diabetic boy friend and I went through these analyses and it turned that his HLA DR are 3 and 4; mine are 7 and 8. (15 Jun 2000)

153. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 28. What percentage of people with Type 1 diabetes are diagnosed as adults instead of as juveniles? I'm wondering if the progression of diabetes and complications are different for those diagnosed as adults versus juveniles. (12 Jun 2000)

154. I have a 9 year old son who is about 20 pounds overweight. He was diagnosed with hyperinsulinaemia last year. He is still gaining weight and the dark line around the back of his neck and dark pigmentation under his arms is getting more pronounced. I am having a hard time finding any information on this and am not sure how to handle it. (12 Jun 2000)

155. My brother is hospitalized with a severe leg infection at his left ankle. He is 42 and has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 19. He is being told this seems to be a strep infection, but after a week of intravenous treatments, his ankle continues to be swollen and red. How typical is such an infection for diabetics, what is the course of this, prognosis, and treatment(s)? (12 Jun 2000)

156. I read in a newspaper something about a British doctor who was able to surgically put some insulin cells in the bodies of 8 of patients with diabetes and that the operations were successful and they are now living a normal life. Is that true? If so, how can I get more information about it and how to contact that doctor or similar doctors doing the same operations? (12 Jun 2000)

157. My 12 year old son was diagnosed over a year ago with possible Type 1 diabetes. He had positive islet cell antibodies and an Insulin level of 18. He is overweight and now we are unsure what type he is. (10 Jun 2000)

158. My son is nine and has had Type 1 diabetes for 1 year. He complains of being "shaky", but when he tests he is high not low. Can a high make him shaky as well as a low? (10 Jun 2000)

159. My daughter was diagnosed a little over a year ago. She has very frequent abdominal pain regardless of glucose levels. She has been worked up for both celiac disease and renal Insufficiency, both of which were negative. Are there other conditions that may cause the abdominal pain that relate to diabetes? (10 Jun 2000)

160. I am a 32 year old female. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 18. Over the last 2 years, I have had an increasing problem with insulin resistance. My doctors think that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCO). Do you have any information on other women with diabetes and PCO who are taking oral medication in addition to Insulin? (10 Jun 2000)

161. My 11-year old daughter has several symptoms of diabetes except that she does not have weight loss, but instead has had significant weight gain in the past couple of years. Should we still think about testing for diabetes? (10 Jun 2000)

162. My son, currently 5 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 1.5 years ago, when we were living in the U.S. Unfortunately I've got a family history of gluten intolerance also. Now I have learned from research publications that diabetes occasionally causes coeliac sprue. Couldn't it be the other way around? (10 Jun 2000)

163. My daughter is 11. Lately, in the morning, 2-3 hours after the insulin shot, she tested 300-400. I do know that she shouldn't be so high at 2 hours after the breakfast. I raised the insulin, but it still doesn't seem to cover the problem. What should I do? (6 Jun 2000)

164. How is frequent urination and bed wetting related to diabetes as far as symptoms go? (6 Jun 2000)

165. How do you know where to puncture the finger using a lancet for a glucometer test? (6 Jun 2000)

166. I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed with diabetes 5 weeks ago. I was given medication for it and I was also told to take birth control pills too. In the past years I would gain weight with the birth control pills. Would it be all right to take a weight management pill to control my weight or lose some pounds? (6 Jun 2000)

167. What do you mean by anxiety neurosis? What are its symptoms? Do people with diabetes or blood pressure have it? What are the remedies? (6 Jun 2000)

168. Can you please comment on the capacity of a virtually out-of-control 55 year old (35 years with Type 1) diabetic -- high/low blood sugars, too much insulin for levels of physical activity, frequent, severe, unrecognized hypoglycemias -- to cause terror for loved ones. (6 Jun 2000)

169. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and is overweight. The doctor put her on a low carbohydrate diet and glyburide when she goes over 200. I am worried about her taking the glyburide almost every day and our appointment is 7 weeks away. (6 Jun 2000)

170. My 16 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since age 4. Can a low blood sugar of 30 cause him to act in a drunk stage and become violent? (5 Jun 2000)

171. I am having trouble entering the code for my meter. I have lost the instructions. Can you help? (5 Jun 2000)

172. Why do people always joke on me when I have a sugar attack? It hurts when laugh at me. Why do they do that? (5 Jun 2000)

173. Uncooked cornstarch is the ingredient in Nitebite that keeps the blood sugar level normal for extended time periods. Why can't I add uncooked cornstarch to my own foods to keep the level up, 5 to 6 hours later? (5 Jun 2000)

174. I would like to have information about neonatal diabetes mellitus, transient diabetes of the newborn. I am a post graduate attached to the Institute of Child Health-Madras. There have been reports of just one case of neonatal diabetes in the past 10 years. (5 Jun 2000)

175. Do they sell extra strips that test your glucose meter and if so could you tell me where? Because I kind of misplaced mine. (5 Jun 2000)

176. I took my 4 year old son to the doctor due to his excessive thirst and urination during the day and throughout the night. Our doctor did a urine sample and it showed no sugar in the urine at all. He said it was very unusual to have no sugar in the urine. (5 Jun 2000)

177. I have an 8 year old daughter who weighs about 43 pounds (fully dressed). She has been having a lot of trouble being very tried, drinking all the time, and going to the restroom very often. Also, she complains of being dizzy, having headaches a lot and very shaky hands. What does this mean? (5 Jun 2000)

178. At birth, my son was put into the N.I.C.U. and was given glucose intravenously because he could not maintain his blood sugar level. The glucose would raise his blood sugar to about 30-35, then it would drop to 10-15. Is he hypoglycemic? (5 Jun 2000)

179. My daughter, age 15, has recently gotten her Hemoglobin A1c results back and it was the worst ever: 13.1! Her readings are generally in range, 80-180. How can this Hemoglobin A1c be so high? (5 Jun 2000)

180. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 3 years. I have very unstable blood sugar levels from very high (off the monitor) to low 20's several times daily. I take N and Humalog. I have a rash that is spreading. Is there such a thing as being allergic to insulin? (4 Jun 2000)

181. A relative suffered severe trauma to his pancreas and spleen in an automobile accident and had to have his spleen and a large part of his pancreas removed. Immediately afterwards he developed diabetes. (4 Jun 2000)

182. I have been hearing a lot about this new idea of someone being insulin resistant. Along with this people are saying that they are "addicted" to carbohydrates and are therefore cutting them out of their diet. This does not make sense to me. I have had diabetes for 7 years and am wondering if there is any truth to these ideas. (4 Jun 2000)

183. Our 16 year old daughter has diabetes for 9 years now. At present, antibodies have been found (early stage) in the thyroid and we are wondering what medication/treatment is done in this respect and whether there is a possibility to stop this at this early stage? (4 Jun 2000)

184. I have diabetes, and am interested in additional information on treatment and side effects of medication. Also risk factors for Type 2 diabetes. Would like to know what is the proper sugar level rating (what is too high and too low). (4 Jun 2000)

185. It is early morning. I am a Registered Nurse presently at work. The question came up as to which insulin to give first, the cloudy, or the clear. I was taught it doesn't make a difference, and I just looked into my text book and it doesn't answer that question. (3 Jun 2000)

186. My 6 year old daughter has had diabetes since she was 3. Her blood sugars have always been very hard to control. The lowest her HA1c has been is 8.7. Would putting her on a insulin pump help to control her blood sugars? (3 Jun 2000)

187. Is there any known medical connection between Lichen Striatus (linear dermatitis), and diabetes in children between 1-5 years old? (3 Jun 2000)

188. My daughter is 17 and has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 10. She is experiencing a general aching in both legs after exercise to the extent that she is unable to continue. One day she can run 6 miles and the next can't walk a block. Does this sound similar to complaints others have had? (3 Jun 2000)

189. My daughter was diagnosed several months ago. She has suffered from asthma, and has been inflicted with eczema, migraine headaches, urinary tract and yeast infections, chronic sinus infections as well as every other childhood "ailment". Is it possible that she was born with such a weak immune system that she is more susceptible than the average child? (3 Jun 2000)

190. A friend told me that dogs can be trained to warn someone that their blood sugar is getting too low, but I am having difficulty locating information on such dogs. Do you know who I might contact for more information? (3 Jun 2000)

191. My 11 year old sister was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. We can't seem to get her stable. She goes up and down. Please help however you can! (3 Jun 2000)

192. Every quarter I run an education/support group and I am looking for ideas and suggestions of topics. There are 4 groups ranging from age 3 to 17. I would appreciate any suggestions. (3 Jun 2000)

193. I am caring for a 67 day old pre-term baby with intractable hypoglycemia and hepatosplenomegaly [enlargement of the liver and spleen]. No other anomalies have been found. The hypoglycemia is corrected by hydrocortisone. Please direct me toward me further management. (2 Jun 2000)

194. I am a daycare provider and have a 6 year old boy with Type 1 diabetes starting today. I was wondering if you could please mail me a reference sheet with a variety of foods and their total carbohydrates. He must have 40 grams at meals and 30 grams at snack time. (2 Jun 2000)

195. How do I find a diabetes support group? (2 Jun 2000)

196. I was wondering if the Varivax (chicken pox) vaccine is okay for people with diabetes.I have a 3 and 1/2 year old son who has diabetes. I have had conflicting opinions on this from different doctors. What do you think? (2 Jun 2000)

197. My 20 month old son is having 5-10 bowel movements a day which are mainly diarrhea. he is also having severe mood swings. We were checking for lactose intolerance which doesn't seem to be the problem. Many people think diabetes could be the problem. Do you think that could be possible? (2 Jun 2000)

198. Our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed at the age of 2 1/2. She has always been a little chubby, but lately, her endocrinologist seems to be worried about premature puberty. She has some breast development. All of her of tests have come back normal so far. They want to repeat the tests in a few months. (2 Jun 2000)

199. Does exercise affect the blood glucose numbers of the next day? My daughter is 4. She was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. (2 Jun 2000)

200. I Recently had a A1c test of 9.5, and it is the highest its ever been. I am a 42 year old female. I had mononucleosis 2 months ago. Would that have made this test higher? (1 Jun 2000)

201. I have a grandson who is 2 1/2 years old. I am afraid that he may have some form of diabetes. I would like information about the kind of diabetes that affects the pituitary gland. (1 Jun 2000)

202. When my 5-year-old daughter has had a fever recently, her blood sugar levels shoot up to 280 to 300, she spills sugar (500 - 1000) in her urine, and has moderate ketones in her urine. She also has stomach pain. Can this turn into diabetes? She (1 Jun 2000)

203. I have been diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes for almost 2 years now. I am extremely overweight (338 pounds). I have been watching my sugar intake and fat intake. I have been on a diet of 1800 calories a day or less. But I am gaining weight and my sugars are increasing. Am I missing something that I should be doing? (1 Jun 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts