From Gladstone, Michigan,USA :

I recently had a A1c test of 9.5, and it is the highest its ever been. I am a 42 year old female. I had mononucleosis 2 months ago. Would that have made this test higher?

If your diabetes has been in good control over the years, a single HbA1c level above the normal is not a tragedy. I agree with you that mono 2 months ago has played a decisive role towards high values of blood sugars and then of HbA1c. Recovery from mono should have brought far better levels of blood sugar by now, and given the half life of HbA1c (two months), you should expect to observe lower levels of HbA1c next time you'll check it.

Last but not least, are you monitoring your actual blood sugar levels several times a day? If these are back to 'normal' for you now, then the HbA1c is going to go back to normal.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c