From Waterloo, Ontario, Canada:

I was wondering if the Varivax (chicken pox) vaccine is okay for people with diabetes. I have a 3 and 1/2 year old son who has diabetes. I have had conflicting opinions on this from different doctors. What do you think? Is there a second shot that the child has to receive to keep it effective? When do they get that one?

I'm unaware of any compelling evidence not to immunize a child with type 1 diabetes with Varivax. In my state, Varivax is part of the routine childhood immunization schedule and we're encouraging all our parents to immunize their children fully. At this time, when you receive Varivax before age 11, only 1 shot is necessary (no boosters are recommended at this time).