Question:

From Clay, New York, USA:

I am a daycare provider and have a 6 year old boy with Type 1 diabetes starting today. I was wondering if you could please mail me a reference sheet with a variety of foods and their total carbohydrates. He must have 40 grams at meals and 30 grams at snack time.

Answer:

There are many paperback books available that have the carbohydrate count of foods. I would start with the parents though. The parents should provide you with all of the information needed to provide the foods their child needs. They most likely have diet materials that they received during the education process. You might also want to check the American Diabetes Association references available. Labels on foods give the carbohydrate content per serving indicated on the label. This information is invaluable when trying to find appropriate snacks.

JM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare