From Oklahoma, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 3 years. I have very unstable blood sugar levels from very high (off the monitor) to low 20's several times daily. I take N and Humalog. I have a rash that is spreading. Is there such a thing as being allergic to insulin?

I have seen one or two children whom I believe were allergic to insulin. Given the thousands of children I have seen over the years, it is rare. I did have one child "desensitized" to insulin. It is a process where dilute insulin is given in repeated injections over a short period of time. Protocols are available from the insulin manufacturers. Not to be done lightly, as the patient isn't happy about it, but it did work for me and usually works for others too.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

It's not clear from your question if you have discussed your problem with your physician. Although it's impossible for us to diagnose your rash by e-mail, it might just take a moment for your physician to identify what's causing it.

If your physician thinks it might be a drug rash from insulin, he/she should consult with an endocrinologist about the possibility of desensitization procedures.