Question:

From Montgomery, Alabama, USA:

Why do people always joke on me when I have a sugar attack? It hurts when laugh at me. Why do they do that?

Answer:

You don't mention how old you are, how often you have low blood sugars, or where you are when these events occur. If you are having frequent low blood sugars that cause you to behave in an unusual way (giggling, walking funny, not making sense when you talk), you need to talk about this with your diabetes team. Maybe you need to change your insulin dose or snack/meal schedule to protect you from these lows.

Also, if you do behave in an unusual way, people may laugh because they may think you're being funny. They may also laugh because they are uncomfortable with what they are seeing and do not understand your behavior. Perhaps you can ask these individuals to help you, by letting them know what the symptoms of lows are, and instructing them on what to do to help you (get you juice, pop, milk, etc). They are less likely to laugh if they are busy helping you bring your blood sugars back up.

JWB

Posted to Other Social Issues and Hypoglycemia