Question:

From Texas, USA:

I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed with diabetes 5 weeks ago. I was given medication for it and I was also told to take birth control pills too. In the past years I would gain weight with the birth control pills. Would it be all right to take a weight management pill to control my weight or lose some pounds?

Answer:

It sounds like you need to discuss all these issues with your own doctor. In general, I would not recommend weight control pills to counteract the weight gain from birth control pills. In addition to putting on weight, birth control pills can raise the blood sugar. I don't know if you are taking the birth control pills for contraception, regulation of your period, or for other hormonal imbalances, but your diabetes doctor should be aware that you are taking the birth control pills and discuss these issues with you.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss