From Qatar, Doha, Arabian Gulf:

I read in a newspaper something about a British doctor who was able to surgically put some insulin cells in the bodies of 8 of patients with diabetes and that the operations were successful and they are now living a normal life. Is that true? If so, how can I get more information about it and how to contact that doctor or similar doctors doing the same operations?

I don't know the specifics of the cases you mention but there are many initiatives around the world to implant insulin making cells into the body, sometimes inside protective coatings. There have been some successes but the process is still very experimental and a long way from routine.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

In May, 2000, the Alberta Foundation for Diabetes Research (in Canada) reported on its success in transplanting human islets into patients with Type 1 diabetes. This may be the story that you read about.

Posted to Research: Cure