Question:

From Alexandria, Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 28. What percentage of people with Type 1 diabetes are diagnosed as adults instead of as juveniles? I'm wondering if the progression of diabetes and complications are different for those diagnosed as adults versus juveniles.

Answer:

The peak age of diagnosis is around 12-13 years, but many patients with Type 1 diabetes develop it beyond this age. There is no difference in relation to the development of complications -- mainly associated with poor control -- which are duration dependent.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Complications