From Alexandria, Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 28. What percentage of people with Type 1 diabetes are diagnosed as adults instead of as juveniles? I'm wondering if the progression of diabetes and complications are different for those diagnosed as adults versus juveniles.

The peak age of diagnosis is around 12-13 years, but many patients with Type 1 diabetes develop it beyond this age. There is no difference in relation to the development of complications -- mainly associated with poor control -- which are duration dependent.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Complications