Question:

My daughter was told to add a unit of insulin during the week before her period because her blood sugars always seem to go up then. I just found out that she has been doing this for the last five months but not taking the extra unit off during this time. She is now up five units more on her morning and night Ultralente. Her blood sugars seem to be great but isn't 17 Ultralente too much? Should we try to wean it down a little or should we leave well enough alone? I am afraid that she will become insulin resistant.

Answer:

There's no such thing as a wrong insulin dose if it results in good blood sugar control without hypos. Leave well enough alone.

DTQ-ONCEWQ20000427