From America On-Line:

I have a 10 year old daughter who has diabetes. I am having a lot of problems with her. It seems she doesn't even care about her self. My husband and I are very upset with her and afraid. What can we do? I have just recently hooked her up to speak with other children on the computer about this but she hasn't bothered with it; all she wants to do is play around. She is also very mean to everybody in the family and doesn't care whose feelings she hurts. Is there anyone out there that can help us? My daughter's sugar level is always above 250 and its because she doesn't listen to us. She knows what can happen to her. She doesn't see a diabetic doctor because we can't afford one. She does receive Medicaid but only the pediatrician sees her -- the diabetic doctors discriminate and won't see her because she only has medicaid. We're really scared: someone please help us so we can help her -- her life is in our hands.

I am so proud to hear from such committed parents! You are right, your child needs the care of an endocrinologist (specialist in diabetes) and you must fight for that care. In my town, there is a clinic serving people with Medicaid and it has an endocrinologist volunteering his time there. Do you have such a service where you live?

Don't give up. Your child needs you to be her advocate. I would get social services on your side and push until you find the right care. Your child is probably picking up on your fears and you must be confident and courageous on her behalf. Contact the American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for guidance and your local United Way agencies. Never give up!