Question:

From Texas, USA:

My sister is 24 years old. She was age 2 when she developed diabetes. She would desperately like to be a part of the islet cell research. This would give her life purpose. Do you know where she could apply to be part of it? She has some kidney damage now and is using the insulin pump. I know they will only do these research on adults and she would be very excited to be a part of it.

Answer:

Islet Transplant Centers with an active clinical program include our center (Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, contact: Dr. Rodolfo Alejandro, Tel. 305-243-5321), the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis (Contact: Dr. Bernhard Hering), Harvard University in Boston (Contact: Dr.Gordon Weir), the NIDDK Branch on Transplantation and Autoimmunity in Bethesda (Contact: Dr. David Harlan) and, in Canada, the University of Alberta in Edmonton (Contact: Dr. James Shapiro).

CR

Posted to Research: Cure