Question:

I have some questions I would like to ask about diabetes. Is it commonly inherited? How does it affect the person in the short term and long term? What are the possible physical, social, emotional and spiritual complications for the adolescent? And what difficulties may this condition present for the person in relation to being able to move through the stages from childhood to adolescence to adulthood?

Answer:

For the information you are looking for, I encourage you to go through this website. You will also find answers to many of the questions you ask by going to the American Diabetes Association website and to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation website. Finally, you may wish to buy the book: Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by the Barbara Davis Diabetes Center in Denver [which you can download without charge at www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/UIDDM.html], or any of the excellent books published through the American Diabetes Association (which can be purchased through their website).

JWB

DTQ-ONCDMGB20000323
Posted to Other Social Issues