Question:

From Talking Rock, Georgia, USA:

I am 32 and suspected I might have diabetes. The doctor said I have hypoglycemia. I have purchased a blood meter and have been keeping a log of food eaten and blood levels with symptom notes. It seems that after I eat my level goes from mid 80s up to mid 140s. After I hit 93 is when I begin to feel ill and by the time it is in the 140s I am in a terrible state of sickness: severe headaches, nausea, fatigue, etc. I have lost much weight and the 'diet' doesn't seem to help. Could I be misdiagnosed? Should I insist on more testing for diabetes?

Answer:

Yes, there's a chance of misdiagnosis. About more testing for diabetes: I really don't think so. All data you refer regarding blood sugar levels before and after eating are quite normal. Neither should hypoglycemia be suspected because blood sugar must drop at least to 50 mg/dl or below to really be in the low range of blood sugar and to ascribe your symptoms to real hypoglycemia.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

Show your blood sugar levels to your physician, and point out that they are normal, and let the doc know that you'd appreciate a further evaluation of your symptoms.

WWQ