From Cali, Colombia:

My daughter has had diabetes since she was 2 years old. I would like to know if there is any problem if I give her fructose as a sugar substitute or there is a better substitute.

Fructose is a sugar which provides 4 calories per gram; however, it is absorbed more slowly than some other sugars. As long as the carbohydrate is figured into the meal plan, I see no problem using it. Sweeteners that don't have calories include aspartame, Ascelfame K, and sucralose. These are substitutes which may be used in moderation as well.