Question:

From California, USA:

My 15 year old son has Type 1, diagnosed a bit over 3 years ago. His A1C's have consistently been in the 6.0 to 6.9 range for the entire time since diagnosis, with the most recent (3 weeks ago) being 6.1. He has tested high for thyroid antibodies, but maintains normal thyroid function. His urine has just tested 118 for the presence of protein. It is my understanding that protein in the urine is an indication of kidney problems. Is this likely at such a young age, with consistent excellent control shown by the A1C's?

Answer:

The renal problems can appear even with good control. The number you quote is high, likely and needs repeating.

He may need an ACE inhibitor.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

Sometimes, especially in athletically inclined teens, a lot of protein will show up in the urine. Do another timed overnight test, making sure he has not exercised for about 24 hours.

SS