From Portland, Oregon, USA:

I am 44 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes just over two months ago. My feet are in tons of pain. If I stand they hurt and if I sit they hurt. It wakes me up at night and I wanted to know what I can do about it. I have read what not to do but I haven't found anything to help make it better. Any suggestions?

From your description, it sounds like you may have diabetic neuropathy. About 15% of people have neuropathy at the time of diagnosis, which doesn't make your feet feel any better.

There are several things that can be done. First: get your blood glucose into normal range control. Getting your blood glucose into normal control (HbA1c less than 7%) can often improve if not completely reverse the pain. Second: talk to your doctor about medications to help with the pain. Tricyclic antidepressants help some people with neuropathy pain, but we have found that Neurontin does a better job with neuropathic pain.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

See Diabetes and Foot Pain for more information.