Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

My 11 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 4 years. She has calluses on the sides of her feet, and she wants to wear sandals this summer. How careful do we need to be?

Answer:

It is especially important to learn good foot care when you have diabetes. When your daughter is older, a frequent complication of diabetes is the inability to heal sores on the feet well. I would encourage you to have her always wear good foot protection when there is a chance she could injure her foot and sandals offer reasonable protection. I would encourage her not to ever go without shoes outside.