From Ontario, Canada:

My 11 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 4 years. She has calluses on the sides of her feet, and she wants to wear sandals this summer. How careful do we need to be?

It is especially important to learn good foot care when you have diabetes. When your daughter is older, a frequent complication of diabetes is the inability to heal sores on the feet well. I would encourage you to have her always wear good foot protection when there is a chance she could injure her foot and sandals offer reasonable protection. I would encourage her not to ever go without shoes outside.