From Alexandria, Virginia, USA:

I'm 29 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 1 year ago. I'm wondering if time of onset and severity of eye and kidney complications vary by time of diagnosis (juvenile or adult).

For children developing diabetes, only puberty, through its hormonal storm, can be considered an accelerator of the negative effect of bad metabolic control towards the onset of chronic future complications.

Otherwise, only metabolic control and blood pressure matter in terms of the severity of future chronic complications.