Question:

From Panama City, Florida, USA:

My 9 year old daughter and I both have Type 1 diabetes and are both on insulin pumps. We are interested in knowing more about becoming insulin pump counselors. Our area has a tiny diabetes center with no endocrinologist or pump counselor. We travel 150 miles to another city to see our diabetes team. We'd like to help provide better care for people with diabetes in our area. Could you point us in the right direction for looking into the necessary education?

Answer:

I would contact the company of the pump you are using. I'm not sure whether or not they hire lay people because of liability issues. Good luck!

SS

Additional comments from Kris Swenson, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would suggest you talk directly with Minimed and Disetronic sales people. They often train pump wearers to be pump trainers in rural areas. I wish you great success.

KS

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I know that the different pump companies have different ways to train to be a pump counselor. I would suggest calling the company itself and they will steer you in the right direction. I do not know if your background is in a health care field, but that is usually beneficial, but still check it out. I can detect a lot of enthusiasm for the pump and I think you would be great.

LSF

Posted to Insulin Pumps