Question:

From Budapest, Hungary:

I have a son who is 9 years old. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. He takes 4 shots of insulin per day and his sugar level is tested at least 8 times a day. My individual situation is, that my son will get an insulin pump next week, and the Hungarian doctors want to use Humalog because Regular insulin blocks the pump. Other Hungarian doctors say that the Humalog isn't good for little kids, because doctors don't know exactly the effects of Humalog on growth hormone and with Humalog, the insulin depot is too little, therefore the danger of ketoacidosis is increased. What are your opinions and experiences about the insulin pump and using of Humalog in childhood?

Answer:

Humalog works extremely well with insulin pumps and is widely used in insulin pumps, and in children.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

We recenty ran a poll asking visitors what medications they or their child used. 16% reported using a pump with Humalog, while only 1% reported using a pump with Regular.

JSH

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Insulin Analogs