Question:

From Budapest, Hungary:

My son is 9 years old. He was diagnosed 2 years ago, he is type 1. He will get an insulin pump next week. Can the pump be used with Humalog, and what are the effects of Humalog on the growth hormone?

Answer:

As far as I am aware, Humalog can be used in the pump, and is becoming more commonly used in pumps these days. I don't think that it has any adverse effects on growth hormone secretion.

JS

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

In a recent poll about what medication people take for diabetes, 16% of people reporting using Humalog with a pump compared with only 1% using Regular with a pump.

JSH

Posted to Insulin Pumps