Question:

From Canton, Michigan, USA:

My daughter, age 5 1/2, has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. For the past month, she has complained of numbness and tingling in the soles of her feet that comes and goes at various times during the day. I took her to her pediatrician who has ruled out neuropathy. She eats food products containing Nutrasweet (aspartame) on a daily basis and I am wondering if there may be a link between these symptoms and her use of Nutrasweet.

Answer:

As far as I know, there is no link between your daughter's symptoms and Nutrasweet.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

We have additional information about aspartame in our section about sugar substitutes.

JSH

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other Illnesses