From Michigan, USA:

My 15-year-old son has had diabetes for over 14 years. He has recently become depressed with the diabetes. He is not coping well at all. Do you think St. Johns Wort might help in any way? He is seeing a counselor.

I would be reluctant to recommend herbal interventions without a physician's approval. Becoming depressed after having over a decade of dealing with diabetes is not uncommon. I am pleased that your son is seeing a therapist and perhaps he may benefit from that alone -- if not, the therapist will refer any medical interventions to your son's physician and treatment care team.

Not all of the data on St. Johns Wort is positive. Use wisdom with herbal remedies just as you do with pharmaceuticals. The years from 14-18 are the toughest in my own practice. I do wish your son continued good health and help from his counselor.

Posted to Behavior