From Norwich, United Kingdom:

As a 20 year old student at University, consultants at my clinic have always said my control is excellent. I have HbA1c's of around 4 to 6 over the last few years. On my last two visits, two separate consultants have said my daily intake of insulin (90 to 100 units per day) is more than a normal person produces. What if any, are the dangers or consequences of this in the long run? I appreciate it can send me into hypo's but this very rarely occurs and so I am wondering more about the long term effects to myself.

If you are comfortable with your weight/food intake, are not having multiple and/or severe hypos and have control as good as it sounds then you are on the correct dose of insulin for you. One issue may be unhealthy injection sites -- lumpy sites mean you need more insulin to get the same amount into your blood.