Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I have a 5 year old girl who has Type 1 diabetes. I was told my 3 year old has the antibodies which means, at some point, she also will have diabetes. Do you have any information about this?

Answer:

You will find a lot of information on this site and other diabetes sites about antibodies. Actually, the fact that your daughter has antibodies does not necessarily mean that she will get diabetes but it does increase the risk. The level of the antibodies in the blood gives some clues and you should discuss this with your 5 year old's diabetes team.

DTQ-ONCDMGBND20000623