From Iquique, Chile:

My son was diagnosed in almost a year ago with Type 1 diabetes. He was 7 1/2. He is still in his "honeymoon". He appears to have more of a problem now with low blood sugar (sometimes he is home from school with a reading below 37). How long will this honeymoon period last? I know it can take a while, but is this length of time normal and when will I know that it has ended? He sees an endocrinologist every 2 months, but with the language problem, it is difficult for me to get concrete answers.

The honeymoon period can last from a few weeks to a few years. It is quite variable. There are some specialty food products available that help with low blood sugars -- especially at night. Also make sure he is eating appropriate meals at school to help prevent low blood sugars.

Posted to Honeymoon and Hypoglycemia