From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA :

I have 2 daughters; one is 9 years and the other is 8 years old. They both have had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test and both were diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I was informed at that time that it is low blood sugar, which is a type of diabetes. Is hypoglycemia Type 2 diabetes? I have heard different things, that it is and that it isn't t. I'm doing the best I can to monitor this condition, but there is only one pediatric endocrinologist in Nevada and I can't get the girls in for several months. I've read up on this confusing condition, but have only became more confused since it seems not every one recognizes this as a type of diabetes.

Hypoglycemia (blood sugar level lower than 50-55 mg/dl) can be an occasional manifestation of prediabetes. It can be due to the inappropriate release of endogenous insulin from pancreatic beta cells suffering from the autoimmune attack typical of Type 1A autoimmune diabetes. This doesn't mean that all cases of hypoglycemia are secondary to prediabetes though.

In the case of your daughters, two things speak against the hypothesis of prediabetes: 1) Are both of them prediabetic really? 2) Why was a 3 hour glucose tolerance test performed on either of them? 3) Did it turn it out as reactive or fasting hypoglycemia? As you can easily understand, a pediatric endocrinologist is highly recommended. Your daughters' appointment is close. There should be no harm waiting until then I think.