Question:

From Lawton, Oklahoma, USA:

My 7 year old daughter has had a rash for over 2 weeks. Our doctor had us treat her for scabies since he couldn't figure out any other cause for the rash. One week later, we were back at the doctor. He took her sugar level and it was 72 which is normal. Diabetes runs in our family. I have access to a home meter and have tested her count 3 times today, all 3-4 hours after meals, one count was 126, then 99, then 108. I'm debating on whether to bring these readings to the attention of our doctor. The rash is has turned into sores that look like bug bites and itch badly. Some look infected. Do I need to call our doctor again?

Answer:

The symptoms of diabetes in children typically include frequent urination, excessive thirst and hunger, and weight loss. I would not be concerned about the blood sugars at this point unless they are accompanied by the above symptoms. I would bring all of your concerns to the attention of your physician.