Question:

From Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada :

I am a 30 year old woman with epilepsy who was recently diagnosed (4 months ago) with diabetes. It is not classed as Type 1 or Type 2, but under "other" as it came from having pancreatitis. My diabetes is being treated as Type 1, as I am on insulin injections. I do have Type 2 complications, as I have high cholesterol. Is there any correlation between having epilepsy and having diabetes? If so, where can I get this kind of information? Also, what are the risks with pregnancy, having both conditions?

Answer:

There is no link between diabetes and epilepsy, unless in your case possibly the cause of pancreatitis may be related to the cause of epilepsy. In pregnancy it is important to have blood glucose as tightly controlled as possible, as well as having the epilepsy controlled. Also make sure that any treatment you are on for epilepsy is a low risk medication for causing problems to your baby. It is worth discussing these points with your diabetes team and obstetrician.

JS