Question:

From Easley, South Carolina, USA:

My 22 month old daughter has been having tremors at night and the first thing when she wakes up. Otherwise, she is a healthy, normal child. I was told she is having essential tremors and needs to be treated with medication. However, in researching, the Mayo Clinic states that essential tremors do not happen at rest. I am wondering if she has low blood sugar. (When I don't eat right, my hands shake.) Could she have some form of diabetes?

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that the cause of her tremors is diabetes, especially if she is otherwise well. However, it does sound as though you need to take advice from a neurologist.

JS