Question:

From Tinley Park, Illinois, USA:

I am supposed to take 20 units of 70/30 insulin twice a day. If my blood sugar is 90 in the evening should I still take this dose? I was just taken off of a sliding scale of Regular insulin.

Answer:

The precise dosing of insulin must be done by your diabetes team. In general, you should never skip a scheduled dose of insulin. In addition, a disadvantage of premixed insulin such as 70/30 is that you can't adjust it very easily for high and low blood sugars. You might wish to consider reviewing this with your diabetes team.