From Minnesota, USA:

I have two daughters with type 1 diabetes, ages 14 (diagnosed at 7 years) and 11 (diagnosed at 10 years). My 14 year old has always had blood sugars that have been difficult to control. (She also has asthma and allergies.) Her blood sugars often are over 300, and she complains of stomach aches. She is a very moody, sensitive child with behaviors I always thought were temper tantrums. She can also be verbally and physically aggressive and has taken an antidepressant medication, which didn't seem to help. She was so difficult, she now lives with her father. Could her behavior problems be caused by other factors such as a chemical imbalance or just her temperament? My youngest lives with me and her blood sugars are in good control and no behavior problems.

It is often difficult when a child has other problems to know whether these problems can aggravate diabetes control. Certainly it is know that anxiety and stress and emotional upset can affect diabetes control, but rarely is it the other way round; high readings are not usually the cause of behavioural problems.

The best way to deal with these problems is to deal with the behavioural problems and hopefully, diabetes control can begin to settle.

Posted to Daily Care and Behavior