Question:

From Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA:

My 7 1/2 year old daughter is quite large for her age. She grows about 3-4 inches each year and towers above most children her age. She drinks liquids constantly and seems to always be thirsty but does not have to urinate frequently as a symptom of diabetes would indicate. Lately, she has developed cuts on both her big toes that don't seem to want to heal. I have heard this is a problem for sufferers of diabetes and wanted to know more information if this could be a symptom of something else. Our doctor has never been concerned about anything I have noticed. How do you request a test for diabetes?

Answer:

I can understand your concern, but before worrying needlessly, I would suggest you ask your daughter's physician for a complete physical exam which should include a blood sugar test as well as a complete chemistry of her blood. As for your question about her feet, there are many things that could cause this and should be discussed on this visit. Diabetes problems of the feet are usually seen after years of blood sugars that have been above normal, not typically a sign at diagnosis.

Kids grow at different rates so your daughter may just be following her genetic path. Before any more worry, visit your doctor and get all your questions answered.

KS