From Napoleon, Missouri, USA:

My wife was 36, overweight by 40 lbs and out of shape when she became pregnant with our daughter 13 years ago. My wife developed gestational diabetes and our daughter was taken two weeks prior to the due date to reduce birth defects due to the diabetes. Our doctor specializes in gestational diabetes. If I remember correctly, he said that both my wife and daughter would have a much greater risk of diabetes unless they kept their weight normal, exercised 30 minutes per day, 3 days a week and reduced the food items which lead to diabetes. Question: Since both my wife and daughter are 40 to 60 pounds overweight, out of shape and eat more salt and fatty foods than necessary, are they both still high risk for diabetes?

In short, and in theory, it is true. It is important they remain healthy and eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.

Posted to Type 2