Question:

From Maryland, USA:

My doctor recently diagnosed me with having a skin condition called Acanthosis Nigricans. I have been reading that this condition is related to diabetes. Is there any treatment for the discoloration besides weight loss? Also, how likely is it that I will develop diabetes with this condition? I have noticed it for about 2 years but my blood sugar always tests okay.

Answer:

Acanthosis Nigricans is a direct result of insulin resistance, and without losing weight and reducing the insulin resistance, the likelihood of developing Type 2 diabetes is high. You're right that losing weight is the most important thing to do, but this may not help to clear the acanthosis, and advice from a dermatologist is usually necessary.

JS