Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Kokomo, Indiana, USA:

I just found out in March that I have Type 2 diabetes. I have a glucose meter and tested my daughter who is 5 1/2. It read 180. Should I have her tested by her doctor? I have 2 other children as well; should they be tested? It runs on my side of the family.


I can understand your concern but before jumping to any conclusions, I would recommend you discuss this with your child's doctor. Also, we always need to remember that the hand-held meters give us an approximate blood sugar, not an absolute number like a blood test done in a lab. Also, blood sugars vary for all of us by time of day and what we eat.

Before any more time is spent worrying, talk to her doctor. A simple test could make all the difference to your peace of mind.


Original posting 30 Jun 2000
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Home Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:10
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.