From Kokomo, Indiana, USA:

I just found out in March that I have Type 2 diabetes. I have a glucose meter and tested my daughter who is 5 1/2. It read 180. Should I have her tested by her doctor? I have 2 other children as well; should they be tested? It runs on my side of the family.

I can understand your concern but before jumping to any conclusions, I would recommend you discuss this with your child's doctor. Also, we always need to remember that the hand-held meters give us an approximate blood sugar, not an absolute number like a blood test done in a lab. Also, blood sugars vary for all of us by time of day and what we eat.

Before any more time is spent worrying, talk to her doctor. A simple test could make all the difference to your peace of mind.